Healthy change is GOOD change!!!


Friday, January 20, 2006

Oh Jazzman's..........

Every Thursday night Jazzman's Cafe has an Open Mic, so I decided that I would be apart. Well actually, I really didn't have a choice because my voice teacher insists I perform constantly to reduce tension when I sing. ( It makes it hard to manage your breath when your muscles are tight)

So my roomie and I head out so I can conquer this thing! After going through a billion songs, we decide that "Sweet Thang" by Mary J. Blige would be coo. Ya know, something the crowd would remember and say " Oh that was the SONG!" And the band behind me should be able to catch it, right?

Nope. The band definitely didn't start playing on the beat that SHIENA was singing to. Not to mention, I came on stage after some guy who failed at pronouncing any of his lyrics. Yeah, the crowd had died JUST a little. While singing I'm thinking, " OMG, why ME!?! Why me???" But hey, despite the kinks, the performance wasn't bad. If you survive an AUC crowd , you just might make it elsewhere. (We will boo and key you in a minute! lol) I don't think they expected those low notes, but yeah buddy, Toni Braxton and I have great sing-a-alongs together!

Well, we shall see the outcome of next week as I overcome these performance jitters. I'm used to being in the back holding down that bottom note. This "stand alone and sing" thing is kinda foreign to me.....but it's fun! :)

XOXO

1 comment:

ctiaga said...

Hey Girl!!! Keep it up! I'm proud of you! I only wish I was there. I still remember the first time I heard you sing at the BSU fundraiser at LQHS. Mary J. Blige had nothing on your rendition honey!!

I love you Sheina! Miss you!! Talk to you soon!!